Sarah’s Super Foods – Sticky Caramel Popcorn has to be one of my all time favourite snack foods I can eat so much of it in one sitting! This month sarah offers us an alternative recipe that is free from gluten, dairy and refined sugar. Instead uses healthy substitutes such as coconut oil in place of butter and maple syrup in place of sugar. Thanks again to Sarah from Inside Out Health & Fitness
Sticky caramel popcorn
How to make stove top popcorn (makes approx 8 cups)
You will need:
3 tbsp coconut oil
1/3 cup organic popcorn kernels
- Heat oil in a thick bottomed saucepan (with lid).
- Melt coconut oil. Put 3-4 kernels into the oil, when kernels pop the temperature is right. Add the rest of your popcorn (across one even layer).
- Cover (with a lid slightly ajar for drier and crispier popcorn) and remove from heat for 30 seconds (this helps to even the temperature so that they pop at the same time).
- Return to heat. Once popping slows remove from heat.
- Allow to cool.
Sticky caramel popcorn ingredients:
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp hulled tahini
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 cups popped popcorn
- Set aside popcorn in a heat proof mixing bowl.
- In a small saucepan combine maple syrup, tahini and coconut oil. Mix well.
- Over medium heat allow the syrup to come to a boil and leave to bubble away for a full minute.
- Remove from heat and pour over popped popcorn.
- Mix to combine caramel with popcorn.
- Allow to cool in fridge. Store in an air-tight glass container in your fridge for freshness.