December is only a day away and that can me only one thing in the Lee household (other than chocolate for breakfast in the form of advent calendars!) Dougie the Elf will be returning to cause havoc! Here are 22 Ideas for Elf on The Shelf.
The Elf on The Shelf is a tradition that has gathered steam in the last 5 years in the UK. The idea being that an Elf is sent by Father Christmas to keep an eye on children and report back as to whether or not they have been naughty or nice. However while staying with its chosen family the elf usually gets up to mischief (pot, kettle, Black Mr elf!) You can buy the offical #ElfOnTheShelf pacls that come with the traditional book, however to be honest I find them a little scary, let alone #TheBoy!
We took part in this growing tradition last year with a soft toy we nicknamed ‘Dougie’. Unfortunately we started a little late, hence 22 ideas instead of 24!
With #theboy only being 1 1/2 last year it was more of a game of hide and seek with my wife Ashley. So I am looking forward to surprising both Ashley & Oliver this year with new ideas (I don’t think Harry at 6 months will really care!)
So this is what Douggie got up to last year!
- As any regular readers of my blog will know Ashley and I are huge marvel geeks. This is why Dougie arrived to our house disguised Spiderman! He is hanging from the lamp shade using a piece of string. The mask took 5 minutes of my time I will never get back but was worth it to see the look on Ashley’s face (smile mixed with rolling of the eyes that I have become accustomed too!)
- A little warning if you are to be letting in one of Father Christmas’s little helpers, do not leave sharpie pens lying around we got away lightly with him only drawing on the bananas. I soon wiped that grin of his face!
- There were a few that caused more confusion for #TheBoy…like when Dougie decided to take a ride on ‘Rex’ from Toy Story. This is not the only toy he decided to play with while he was with us…read on to find out….
- Now I’m not keen on a lot of mess and many of the ideas I saw on Pintrest and Facebook gave me heart palpitations, however I found that the mess could be ‘contained’.
- As you will find it became habit for Dougie to get into difficult situations. (not sure how he managed to write the help sign in the glass, but luckily with toddlers you won’t have to go into that much detail!)
- As previously mentioned Ashley and I are geeks… we are huge Dr Who geeks as well and some how he found our ‘Tardis Post Box’ from our wedding. He even found my Sonic Screw Driver.
- Dougie left no stone upturned while routing through the house, he even left all the empty wrappers in the Quality Street box and I had been blaming this on Ashley!
- Whist he was with us he taught some of the others how to play poker, luckily Chase had his own croupiers hat. I wouldn’t be surprised if he was hustling Rocky, Jessie and Buzz!
- So I saw some idea on Pintrest showing elfs during over walls….luckily Dougie found a coloring book.
- It wasn’t all fun for Dougie though, he managed to shut himself in the fridge while having a midnight snack. I was tempted to leave him in there!
- Luckily woody and buzz were on hand to get him out of some of his mishaps, not sure what he said to the dinosaurs but they weren’t happy.
Half Way Through…
- The sink served as a great practice lake to sail Granddad pigs boat.
- He did earn his keep and keep the rest of #TheBoy s soft toys entertained and could often be found reading to them.
- Following Dougie’s traumatic experience in the fridge whilst trying to get a midnight snack he decided to ride the crisp cupboard, again I was very tempted to leave him in there!
- After seeing the release of Star Wars The Force Awakens, he made himself a light saber and ruined a pair of my socks so that he could become Darth Dougie Sith Lord!
- I have no idea how this happened but the advantage was that after #TheBoy had seen him we could put him on a fast wash!
- Every night before I went to bed I would update the count down to Christmas, however Dougie had other plans for the chalk board.
- He read all of our Christmas Cards however this one in particular made me laugh as it looks like 7 ‘Mini Dougies’
- It took a 16 days from him riding Rex around the front room to realize a reindeer was a little more festive. He had plenty of Christmas decorations to choose from.
- Too say sorry for all his bad behavior, Dougie decided to cook us breakfast, the problem is a ‘Traditional Elf Breakfast’ of Jelly, Marshmallow, Rice Krispies and spaghetti hoops is not fit for human consumption.
- I can only assume Dougie was testing his get away, the only problem with this was banging my head when using our downstairs loo half asleep in the middle of the night.
- Luckily we had finished most of our chocolates, but there was a few left for him to munch on.
So there you have it, 22 days of #ElfOnTheShelf there are plenty of ideas all over the internet and you don’t need to spend a lot of money to have fun with it. You also don’t need to make a lot of mess (Though you can if you wish!) As #TheBoy is a little older this year I plan to do a full 24 days and come up with 24 DIFFERENT Ideas please follow me on Instagram: fatherlee1 to see my daily updates. Please also tweet me @fatherlee1986 with any ideas or inspiration!