I have been running this feature for a while now and I have had the opportunity to try some great simple exciting healthy recipes with for my family. However when Sarah from Inside Out Health and Fitness sent me through this recipe for Lemon Drizzle Cake I became very excited!
- 175g Butter, Softened (extra for greasing)
- 215g Runny Honey
- Zest of 3 unwaxed lemons
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 75g Ground lamonds
- 3 eggs
- 100g wholemeaal flour
- 3tsp baking powder
- 15g flaked almonds
- preheat oven to 160 degrees. gas mark 3 grease 9cm x 19cm loaf tin and line with baking paper
- Put butter, 165g honey and two thirds of the zest in a bowl and beat with an electric whisk until light and fluffy. Add the ground almonds and the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift the flour and baking powder in a bowl and fold them into the mixture.
- Spoon mixture into the prepared tin and smooth top scatter over the flaked almonds Bake for around 30-40 minutes until a skewer through the center comes out . Take the cake out of the oven but leave it in the tin. it might sink but don’t worry about that.
- In a small pan warm the rest of the lemon zest, lemon juice and remaining honey until the honey has melted. Prick holes all over the top of the cake with a cocktail stick and poor over the the honey mixture wait for cake to absorb before adding more. leave the cake to cool before removing from tin and cutting into slices.
As you can see I did not have a loaf tin, so i used a cake tin. But the results were really good and has been enjoyed this past week by the whole family. This healthy recipe his is genuinely a healthy cake to rival any other cake…go on give it a go…